From the Clubhouse
The Toowoomba Lapidary Club provides tuition and runs many activities throughout the year for its members:
Tips on purchasing gemstones
One of the most important occasions when we purchase a gemstone set in jewellery is for an ENGAGEMENT ring. It is quite a considerable outlay of money, and represents a promise of marriage and a symbol of commitment to join in a lifelong relationship.
- How do you know you’re buying a natural gemstone?
- Could the gemstone be man-made, synthetic or simulated?
- Can you tell if the gemstone has been well cut?
- Had you planned on asking anyone for advice before making this extraordinary purchase?
Well, here’s a little bit of help …
Video tutorials on gemstone cutting (by John Dyer)
- How Gem Cutting influences the Value:
- How Gems are Cut:
- How to Distinguish between Good and Bad Gemstone Faceting:
2019 Toowoomba GEMFEST: note this in your calendar!!
Again, all Toowoomba residents and those living in surrounding districts are invited to come along this October. Visitors to town will be coming especially to purchase gemstones, jewellery, fossils, mineral & crystal specimens. If you’ve got a special anniversary coming up, then this is the place to come to check out fantastic gift ideas.
Dates: Saturday 19 October 2019 & Sunday 20 October 2019.
Note the new starting time: Sat: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm; Sun: 8.30 am – 3.00 pm.
For more information: check out the Gemfest tab.